Sunday 6 May 2018

It's That Time of Year Again

Last week while on my way over to check on things at our rented farm, I noticed this big guy right in the middle of the road.



Look at that mossy shell
This big ol' snapping turtle was mostly likely in search of a suitable place to lay her eggs.  Unfortunately slow moving turtles can easily become road casualties.  If it is safe to do so, observing which direction the turtle is headed and helping it across can significantly increase its chance of survival.  Keep in mind that turtles like this snapper can deliver a nasty bite.  I recommend this site for tips on how to safely do so. Having read the information provided there, I managed to safely help this turtle to the other side of the road.  Considering that snapping turtles can sometimes live to 100 years or more, I feel it important to respect my elders :-)


Of course it is most important to ensure your safety and that of other drivers.  If it is not safe to stop, it's not worth the risk.  One can easily navigate around a turtle on the road, providing that you carefully scan the road ahead and that the vehicle is travelling at a safe speed.


On another note, I'm eagerly looking forward to a trip to Rondeau this Tuesday.  Hopefully I will have some sightings of interest to post about when I get back.

2 comments: