Sunday 26 November 2017

Third Time's the Charm


Well after missing out on the Mountain Bluebird last Tuesday and again when I was in the area on Thursday, I decided to give one final try today. 


By early afternoon I was back at the now familiar Snyder's Flats.  I watched carefully while driving in, but no sign of any other birders or the bird itself.  Parking at the end of the road in the last parking lot, I decided to start looking along the north side of the road as that was where it seemed to be most frequently reported.  I did meet another birder over here who was looking for the bird as well.  We continued on our separate ways, promising to try and notify the other if one of us found anything. 


With no sign of anything to north, I decided to move over to the south side and within a couple minutes noticed a lone bird in the top of a tree.  In the dull November light I couldn't make out what it was, but as I got closer there was no doubt.  Here was the target bird.




She didn't seem at all concerned with my presence occasionally hopping around in the small cluster of trees where I found her. 


I wasn't sure where the other birder had gone, but fortunately he had seen me staring at something and came over to the bird as well. 


She seemed to be having no trouble finding food and was apparently having a good meal at one point in a thicket of buckthorn.


Great to finally add this bird to my life list.



6 comments:

  1. Well done! I guess persistence pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jonathan! I'm glad you were able to find this bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinten. Glad it showed itself to you as well. It was after reading your post that I decided to go and look again today. I'm sure glad I did.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Jonathan! A real nice bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate. It was definitely great to see. Good that you saw it as well.

      Delete